Our Vision for the HCA
We are looking for the widest possible consultation to help us achieve a shared national vision for the future of Healthcare Assistants, incorporating both the Public and Private sector.
- The role of the Healthcare Assistant will become a recognised professional career path in its own right without the necessity to progress to a nursing degree.
- There will continue to be QQI Certified Level 5 Care Assistants as at present.
- We would see a new role as a Professional Health Assistant HET Level 6 following a formal 2 year training programme.
- There will be progression routes to relevant degree programmes for those that wish to progress further.
- There will be state backed Registration for Professional Certificate Health Care Practitioners
- Healthcare Assistants will become a recognised and respected workforce resource, working to the Registered Nurse; available to support and help the hard pressed Registered Nurses, where there is a clear Scope of Practice, thus creating a clear structure for delegation by the Registered Nurse freeing them to deliver more acute care.